Represented by Jen Rofe of the Andrea Brown Literary Agency.
Editors and Art Directors can contact Jen Rofe at jennifer (at) andreabrownlit (dot) com
Please Note: I work on projects exclusively through major publishers, and am not available to collaborate on projects with authors or self-publishers.
ABOUT ME: I grew up in Northern Wisconsin in a family of teachers, musicians, and artists. Drawing was my favorite form of play as a child, my emotional outlet as a teen, and is my passion as an adult. Some of the strongest influences on my creativity have been the wild Wisconsin seasons, canoeing the Brule River, picking blueberries with my Grandmother, and digging through the snow with my brothers.
I got a degree in art and design at the University of Wisconsin-Stout in 2006, moved to Los Angeles and searched for my place as an artist in the “real world”. In 2009 I attended my first national conference for the Society of Children’s Book Writer’s and Illustrators (SCBWI) and felt immediately at home. Children’s literature allows me to experience my own childhood again; to reconnect with and express the imagination as vividly as when I was building forts in the woods and playing with dolls. Little has changed; only now the worlds I imagine I have the ability to share.
In July of 2010 I received the SCBWI LA National Conference mentorship program award, the catalyst for my 2011 win of the portfolio showcase grand prize award. The prize was a trip to New York and arranged meetings with publishers (more on that here). In June 2011, Nancy Paulsen of Penguin Books offered a contract for my first book, MISS MAPLE’S SEEDS, which came out in April 2013 and debuted on the New York Times Bestseller List. One month later marked the release of DOLL BONES, a middle grade novel by Holly Black (S&S) with my illustrations on the cover and interiors, which later went on to win a Newbery Honor Award.
Currently I’m writing and illustrating my own stories as well as the stories of others.
Publisher client list:
- Nancy Paulsen/Penguin Random House Books
- McElderry/Simon and Schuster Books
- Balzer + Bray/HarperCollins
- Little Brown Books
- Candlewick Press
- Chronicle Books
- Peachtree Publishers
- Henry Holt/MacMillan
- Roaring Brook/MacMillan
- Feiwel & Friends/MacMillan
- Little Pickle Press
A bulleted list of very cool things:
- Sendak Fellowship Award Winner, 2017
- ‘WHEREVER YOU GO’ receives SCBWI Crystal Kite Award, 2016
- ‘WHEREVER YOU GO’ gets starred reviews from Publisher’s Weekly and Kirkus Reviews
- ‘DOLL BONES’ by Holly Black, wins a Newbery Honor award, January 2014
- ‘MISS MAPLE’S SEEDS’ debuts on the New York Times Bestseller List, April 28, 2013
- SCBWI 2011 Los Angeles International Conference Portfolio Grand Prize
- SCBWI 2010 Los Angeles International Conference Mentorship Award
- Illustration West 47 International Juried Exhibition, 2009, Society of Illustrators Los Angeles
- SCBWI member, 2009-present